Kobold Press: Guide to Monsters
Sorry, this item is out of stock
Classic monsters can get stale, and Game Masters often need to birth their own monstrosities to properly challenge players. But concepting, creating, and using monsters is no easy feat for any Game Master - and that's where this book comes in.
In these pages, fifteen of the brightest stars in the gaming industry share their wisdom for conceptualizing, developing, and maximizing the "Wow!" factor of monsters. Step by step, the writers show how to think up a new idea - or modify an existing one - then refine and test the design and get the absolute most out of the creature.
Ever wanted to build a monster from mythology or pop culture? Use psychology theory to power your monsters' motivations? Get advice for when your players try to befriend a beast? This book has you covered.
Through simple but effective techniques, these experts demonstrate how to:
• Put an adversary's environment and resources to best use
• Employ common-sense motivations to guide a creature's behavior and choices
• Develop realistic alternatives to just fighting - and dying
• Grab every player's attention with powerful, sensory-filled descriptions
• Make monsters much more than a piece of art coupled with a block of statistics!
• Monte Cook
• Mike Mason
• Wolfgang Baur
• Steve Winter
• Shanna Germain
• Vee Mus'e
• Crystal Frasier
• Michael E. Shea
• Kate Baker
• Celeste Conowitch
• James Haeck
• Luis Loza
• Megan Maricle
• Shawn Merwin
• Kelly Pawlik